can'

Friday, January 11, 2008

34free and competition

As my birthday gift to y'all i give you more 34free, my music recommendations for you to mooch of the internets.


Jet Boy, Jet Girl The Dammed

What: Three and a half minutes of gay punk lament, while you simultaneously think to yourself “what advert was this on?” and “Jesus, did he really just sing that”. The answers are; Pepsi and yes, yes he really did. Driving guitars and just a hint of horn make the song more up-beat than the singer’s voice suggests.

When: You want an excuse to mention that the drummers name was Rat Scabies, who was not only one of the tightest drummers on the punk scene but also one of the competent musicians.


Mother we can’t get enough The New Radicals

What: Anthemic pop rock from the one hit wonders, never released as a single, this song reminds me of being a young and confident teenager unsullied by cynicism when everything was sincere and right, which is a massive achievement seeing as I was never like that. A tall funk, soul, pop and rock milkshake served on a sunny day of the best summer of your youth (that may or may not have ever happened).

When: Waking up on holiday and driving to the beach, high on life, and poppers.


Energy drink Ugly Duckling

What: Party hip-hop from the honour students of the Old School, as wired as the song title makes it sound, fun and as fresh a newly minted coin.

When: Trying to convince your brother that hip-hop isn’t about angst ridden white boys, bling, misogyny, exploitive producers who release unfinished material from now dead performers or meatheads that boast about the amount of times they’ve been shot.


Do you think you could do better? well heres your chance, send me YOUR favourite song using the same format (What - When) and the top three will win a handmade mix CD by me using all new songs and hand crafted art. I will be using the entries here as cheap filler, fully credited of course. Send entries to three4free (at) hotmail (dot) co (dot) uk. this could be cool or it could suck, i think i only have about six regular readers so odds are in your favour.

Deadline 1st of Feb

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris ranted..

I'm gonna enter your competition. I think I read this post when I was asleep. I woke up this morning knowing that I'd read it but couldn't remember when. Today's word verification is 'xioir'

2:36 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

it was actually wroten really late at night/early in the morning.

might come up to see you on monday, what time should i head up?

3:06 PM  
Blogger Chris ranted..

Maybe I did read it in my sleep then. I'll give you a ring on Sat/Sunday night. We can drink booze with our faces.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Olulabelle ranted..

I would enter your competition but it would hurt your head to have to read it since I am utterly appalling at music reviews.


It was good. I liked it.


So I'll spare you.

Make a competition about something else non-reviewish and I'll enter that.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

belle - come on it cant be that bad, a few words on three songs, the format is already there it practicality writes itself.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Booze is my