can'

Monday, March 21, 2005

I am for an art

When i first started my fine art course i was given this text by Oldenburg. i really like it and i thought others would as well.

I was also invited to write, as an exercise and introduction for the tutors, ten of my own. mine were:

 I am for an art that wears sunglasses indoors, at night, in winter

 I am for the art of the raised eyebrow, the half smile and the sly wink

 I am for the art of the giggle at the funeral and the sly whiskey breakfast

 I am for the lost art of decadence, the nobility of hedonism, and wearing a hangover as a fashion accessory

 I am for the anti-art, sleeves rolled up and spit on the hands, ready to scowl at the viewer

 I am for the art of trespass and thoughtful vandalism, of stained fingers and the beautiful crime

 I am for the art of the urban, 24 hour shoe repair, reflected neon word gibberish, litter, stray dog art, culture overlap, sweaty shouting zealots and grumbling singing drunks, new bands old haunts and a quick taxi home

 I am for the art of the wrestlers mask, the circus freaks tattoo, and the decal on a teardrop tank on a handmade chopper

 I am for the art of the visual virus, one idea but replicated and spread, counter culture memes, guerrilla advertising and mass media de-manipulation

 I am for the art of the scar, imperfection and modification the gene lottery masterplan

What art are you for?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ranted..

I suppose you realize that "Puck" rhymes with "Fuck". What a class handle.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Olulabelle ranted..

Dear Mr Anonymous.

Consider this.

I suppose you realise that you have just been offered the opportunity to open up your flip-top head, take out the festering rubbish bag that is your mind and replace it with engaging, entertaining consideration on the nature of art, space, thought, creation and the definition of beauty.

In response to this, you choose to pick through the dust in your cobwebbed and echoing hall of thought, scrabble around for a few stray letters with which to form a sentence, wipe your forehead and grunt with the strain of communication and then rearrange the letters into the most fuckwittish and pointless comment I have ever had the misfortunate to come across, namely that ‘Puck’ rhymes with ‘Fuck’.

Now I expect you are sitting gleefully on your heels, pointing and grunting, full of delight at your superb wit and talent.

Jesus.

Go away, untangle your Neanderthal eyebrows, open your eyes, let in some light, do some evolving, learn to read and write and to communicate and come back in a few thousand years when you’ve caught up with the rest of human race.

Yours hopefully

Olulabelle.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

twon your the only person i know that uses the word "baby" with a straight face.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Booze is my