can'

Monday, March 19, 2007

Reflections on the outside, looking in

this is me ten years ago, dont laugh, you was young once

I’m at the back of the scuffed wood pub, currently frequented by pea-cocked haired emo fasionistas looking gangly and uncomfortable in their skinny fit cardigans, the music is anonymous metal, just like the rest of the clientele.

Looking round I can see a cross section representation of this whole subculture. I admit since the nineties the lines are blurred, the edges of one group will nap overlap the others but one thing can be said to unite them; their otherness. This subcultures paradox can be summed up by the popular T-Shirt “You laugh because I am different, but I laugh because you are all the same.” The irony being the person wearing the t-shirt is probley a cookie cutter version of the person next to him and most others in their social conclave.

Next to me sit a group of regulars swapping stories of outrage and persecution; it seems weird to me how the rock community choose to belong to this oft sneered minority just to spend time railing against being treated different.

Which begs the question; do we really choose to join this subculture? And when I say we, I include myself, because I have aligned myself this way since school, I went right through the many shades of “rock” Goth, Punk, Hippy, Skater, Greebo and sometimes combinations of them all. Or is it not really a choice at all? Are we born with an inate desire to swim against the mainstream?

A lot us, bullied for petty differences, seek out the company of others, music fuelled by anger and angst become the perfect vent for assumed role of outsider. Others, victims of their own knee-jerk teenage rebellion, fall victim to a corporate constructed “alternative” buying the products, wearing the over priced clothes and drinking the cola that tells them they are “different” or “edgy”. Then there are the genuine freaks, sincere in every atom to the deviant ideals that go hand-in-hand with the dark imagery that most blindly wear as uniform, these fuckers are dangerous and charismatic because of their sincerity but end up mad, dead, or grey husks burnt out by excess. A lot are driven to find family away from their own broken past; they find a pub network of friendly face to replace their abusive and flawed history.

Or is it something simpler? Like the most basic human desire to belong? I grew up in bars like this one, I know the uniform, the dialect, and was even there for some of its history, I know some of the old guard well and even some of the more prominent characters too well. I’m comfortable amongst the freaks where others would be intimidated, and that makes me smile.

I think I was able to write this because I am outside looking in, but was inside looking out. Straddling the line that both sides think is thicker than it actually is.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tumuli ranted..

"I think I was able to write this because I am outside looking in, but was inside looking out. Straddling the line that both sides think is thicker than it actually is."

This was the most brilliant piece I have yet in years. You encapsulated EVERYTHING entrenched in this subculture, which seems to shrink by the day...

12:15 AM  
Blogger Chris ranted..

That's the best photo I've ever seen. ever. and yes i did laugh :D

2:42 PM  
Blogger nouseforaname ranted..

gonna have to agree with Miro...

I laughed... we were all young once indeed, but some of us were cute...

ha.... awww.....

6:13 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

bastards

i was cute dammit

tumli - thank you for your compliments, ive just realised the deppresive tone i tend to use when talking about that subject, i will fix that soon

9:21 PM  
Blogger nouseforaname ranted..

ummmm no you weren't....

I wouldn't fuck you back then... and I have low standards (??)

2:54 AM  
Blogger nouseforaname ranted..

fem voice- yeah well.... apparently you do...

reading this blog has totally not helped me get laid....

and the arm wrestling- totally let you win... ya know that right??

11:55 PM  
Blogger Chris ranted..

That conversation has left me feeling just a little confused. Dan helped me get laid. Although admittedly it was with him.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

i think it was in reference to one of the randomly generated tag lines that appear at the top mate.

and stop bitching about THAT night, it was the best two and a half minutes of your life and you know it

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Booze is my