can'

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Two posts in as many days? i'm spoiling you lot


I have just got back from what people in the pub trade call an A.F.D.* and before I slip into a bath hotter than the sun, three or four cold beers and unconsciousness, wanted to address something that appears to become a reoccurring theme in my blog; Pubs.

Last night Clumsy Arse asked me why pubs were so important to me, and it wasn’t a thinly veiled attempt to address my growing alcohol hobby, so it didn’t justify the flippant answer “because that’s where they sell the booze”. People tend to ask me this a lot.

The real answer requires some thought and this post is documentation of that thought train. I suppose foremost is that in the pub I feel as if I am participating in life, no matter how much I enjoy and obsess over it (damn you ANTM) watching T.V will always seem like killing time, entertaining myself until I die. In a pub, even on my own, I feel like part of the story, granted, maybe the background character of someone else’s story, but still part of the grand narrative.

As an avid people watcher, the pub is better than any soap the Devils ThoughtBox has to offer. There are not many things that modesty will allow me to admit to being good at, writing (maybe), and People Hacking** being two. A large part of PH is reading body language, something I enjoy a great deal.

Bars are where people’s lives overlap and in that overlap is where the fun stuff happens; nefarious items are bought or sold or swapped, causes are recruited for, allegiances made and ended and relationships begun (or, indeed, ended).

The pub feels comfortable to me; I have worked in bars and pubs since I came of age a decade ago. I understand the grammar of drinking and the syntax of serving. Being in pubs feels like home but only because they ARE home to me.

Anyway how many cool stories start with “I was sitting in my house”?



*All Fucking Day, a split shift, 10 hours or more
**The science of understanding human behaviour and using that knowledge to manipulate situations to your advantage.

13 Comments:

Blogger Franklin D. Roosevelt ranted..

Thank for the link, but clumsy arse? really? I maybe endearingly dizzy but in less you can catch the clumsy through kissing, you my friend are not as smooth as you think you are!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Angry Empanada ranted..

so what happens when you realize that your talent of People Hacking is wrong? you think you know people so well... until you find they are two faced.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

EVERYONE is two faced sugar, the need to be consistent is an internally driven one that not many people are able to achieve.

maybe i did go overboard with the whole people hacking thing, it was a lazy way of boasting. And a quick solution to a thought thats been going round in my head for a while - that human beings, despite thinking otherwise, are actually incredibly simple creatures, with cookie cutter motives and needs.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

and can you find the irony of talking to a nameless on-line persona about being two faced?

12:00 PM  
Blogger Shroom Monkey ranted..

I agree, it is incredibly difficult to be consistent, we are torn in our loyalties, in our friendships, in our loves... we do tend to sway one way or the other it is natural. we do it to protect, to guard, to hold on, to move ahead, or even just to gain momentum... if that colors me two faced so be it... Dan, I don't think you exceed those parameters any more than I, and I pride myself on being a pretty true person...

12:21 AM  
Blogger Tumuli ranted..

People hacking: nothing like it! But the predictability can be incredibly saddening after a while. At least alcohol softens the blow. For now.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Angry Empanada ranted..

trust me, "sugar" I see the irony.

I don't mean two faced as in multiple facets of a personality, I mean to be willfully be malicious. to deceive.

I've never met a human being who didnt have multiple facets of their personality but not all of them are fully two faced.

some simply find the joy in your pain.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

i have to aplogise What, i read what you said as an attack, so was naturally a bit scratchy in return.

trouble with the 'ninternode, i find, is that you can sometimes miss the tone in which things are said.

i was mearly pointing out that two-facedness is yet another depressingly common feture of being human.

Wow, this got morose fast, anyone fancy some cake?

10:04 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

btw - any chance of seeing your blog?

10:05 PM  
Blogger Angry Empanada ranted..

you can see my nicer blog. the one attached to this name hold's everyone's secrets and is one angry ugly fucking mess of a rant.
Thats why its set to private. unless you really want to do some heavy moments of "OHMYGOD" you'd be better to stick with the niceties.

lol i love cake.

personal favorite... honeycakes with jasmine tea.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

who doesnt want really heavy moments of "ohmygod"?

links? pretty please?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Angry Empanada ranted..

lol I'll give you the safe links but what a crock is my private pretty hate machine.

http://spooninmyeye.blogspot.com

http://travelingcramps.blogspot.com

Enjoy. I think you should have some idea who I am when you go there. We used to have a mutual friend, although I'm just now finding your writing very interesting.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Puck ranted..

thank you, incidentally the picture you use as the banner of Travelling Cramps is one of my favourite paintings we have at the museum and art gallery in my humble city. its just stunning when you see it IRL.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Booze is my