can'

Monday, November 13, 2006

Yet again, Three for Free

Nothing will give music critics a six inch grubby hard-on like being able to recommend bands that people have never heard of, because if the band does get popular they get to oh-so-casually mention that they were listening to them ages ago thus making them twenty times cooler than anyone else (in there eyes), and if the band never becomes popular then the music journo's erection grows another inch and they get to call them "underground" and bemoan they state of the music industry they work for.

Myself, I tend to be quite the opposite; I don't enjoy new music, I have to hear a song over and over before I actually start to like it. This means by the time I start to like a "new" band, there moment in the sun is usually over and the press have moved on elsewhere.

Having said that I do occasionally seek out recommendations from friends or things I read in magazines. So here's three songs by bands you may or may not have heard of, that may or may not become popular, which has no direct bearing on how cool or clever or sexy I am:


Sunset pickups - Lazy eye

Already I miss the summer, winter means that most of my waking hours are spent in darkness and the cold bites through my clothes as if they were not there. Normally I'm ready for the season to change winter usually looms in the distance like a large duvet ready to envelop me, but this year I am not ready, I want more summer, I am greedy for it. Not that the summer hasn't left me with few things; a few perfect moments that stop the bad thoughts and lift from the fug of this time of year. I remember lying on a blanket with the girl I was secretly in love with napping with the local cats, playing football in a park drinking cold beer, and hungover mornings shared with friends laughing till I was sick.

This song reminds me of a perfect summer moment, a glimpse of sun warm guitar fuzz, light drenched beach music that owes a lot the Smashing Pumpkins, which isn't a bad thing.

Dresden Dolls - Coin Operated Boy

Both melodic and tender, but also quirky and disjointed in places, this song sounds like its from a dark adults only musical sung by either a beautiful genius or what sounds like innocent temptress. A theatrical number that changes pace and tone without being pretentious.

Zen Guerrilla - Evening sun

I wis i first heard this song while I was flicking around my parents old record collection and, as a laugh, I put on some random record, just because I liked the cover or found the name funny, then it turned out to be really fucking good, And I was like "why did you never tell me about these?!" to my dad and he looks at me all serious and says "because I didn't think you where ready". As i said that never actually happened, I just wish it did.

A relaxed lilting rock track was swinging balls, driving to a pub after being to the beach with hookers all day music.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris ranted..

Coin Operated Boy is a quality song and I heard it before you! Ha Ha. I win! (Cue erection)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Tumuli ranted..

^LOL!

I have only heard of one of those bands, but from your descriptions I will certainly give each a listen.

But even before this post, you were far cooler than the hipsters.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Booze is my